each year, for you
a box of birthday chocolates . . .
what's yours is mine?
how neatly I slice in two
the pieces for you to share
—Modern English Tanka, Fall 2006; Fire Pearls, 2006
Unfortunately, this tradition may fall by the wayside. Can't find See's Assorted Dark Chocolates just anywhere.
P.S. Some of my early tanka were pretty long.
But oh so beautiful . . .
ReplyDeleteThanks, Maggie!
ReplyDeleteA lovely tanka.
ReplyDeleteAfter 52 years we still share chocolates and other things. Is there no longer a See's Candy? I'll have to ask my sister in LA when she gets back from her trip.
Adelaide
Thanks, Adelaide!
ReplyDeleteThat's so nice...after 52 years!
Yes, there's a See's, don't worry. It's just that I know of only one grocery store in Houston where I can find the all-dark assortment - and I don't even live in Houston anymore. But as I write this, I'm feeling annoyed at myself...because just this Thursday I was doing an errand in town right by that store, yet I forgot to go in and buy the candy! EEK, don't tell him... ;)