Friday, January 25, 2013

No pear tree

no pear tree
no partridge either . . .
I wake up 
to a chill on my face
a million crows-a-cawing

—Winter 2011-2012

Above, one I wrote last winter. Many dog-size crows usher in the mornings around here with their distinctive squawks. When the idea first planted itself in my mind, I remember being alone in a literal and metaphorical chill—and all those crows, as usual.

Synchronicity: I'm not writing about cherry blossoms in this poem, lovely as they are; by that I mean I'm not especially using traditional imagery in the first part. Yet last month, on the blog of a fellow writer whose work I admire, I came across a published haiku in a similar vein—different overall though starting out with the same type of pear/partridge imagery. It appears we may have been on the same wavelength. That sort of thing, of course, happens (and can be enjoyable). You may have read the haiku or, if not, I hope you do sometime.

Though I'm fond of this particular tanka, as I am the above-mentioned haiku as well, I've decided just to post it on this blog and not bother searching for some other "home" for it. I go through phases where I don't much feel like peddling my poetry wares anyway. And I also remind myself that above all I write because I seem to enjoy it. Hope you enjoy this. 

8 comments:

  1. I did enjoy it! Its home is here. I like the contrast of fantasy/reality and the way that line 3 can be read either literally or metaphorically. Another subtle poem that deepens the reader's awareness of the significance of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. And I agree that sometimes the "Peddling our wares" gets wearying.
    I've nominated you for the "Very Inspiring Blogger" award. Perhaps you've already received it. I am inspired by your work and this is just a chance to say so.
    www.freethoughtandmetaphor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I'm glad I can use this blog as a sort of home. :)

    Jenny - You often can analyze my poems better than I can!

    Ellen - Wow, I appreciate it. No, haven't rec'd anything by e-mail. I was unfamiliar with "Very Inspiring Blogger," so I went to your blog to learn more. I'm not surprised you were selected. Thanks for listing me in your post, and I'm encouraged that you've found my work inspiring. (I sometimes toy with the idea of slowing way down with my poetry writing, that is, my poetry for public consumption.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this post. There is a temptation to write for publication and to forget why we began writing in the first place--to express ourselves, to pour out our hearts and feelings and ideas because we couldn't keep them locked up anymore. One problem with aiming for publication, for me anyway, is that I send off my work too soon. I should slow down and wait, give my enthusiasm time to calm down and reread and revise, if necessary, and then send.It's good to write for just ourselves, as practice, as therapy, as expressions of joy or sorrow and to share our writing with friends. Thank you for reminding me why I write.

      Adelaide

      p.s. My deleted comment was almost the same as this, but I posted it too soon.

      Delete
  4. Adelaide - I alway enjoy your posts. I agree with all you say here. "There is a temptation to write for publication and to forget why we began writing in the first place--to express ourselves," etc. I've had a habit sending off my work too soon, too, although in more-recent times that trend finally has started to change; e.g., I may now wait 3 to 15 months (and then sometimes I forget what's in my file!). I've written for fun, off and on, ever since I was a child (mostly stories, a little bit of poetry, etc.). But it was only 10-12 years ago that I began focusing on poetry in a more-serious way. I had little, if any, thought at first of getting poetry published but, instead, wrote as a way of honoring my spirit. Time again to remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I've said this before, but I feel your spirit/voice strongly in your poems, Janet, and always enjoy reading your work--wherever it appears . . . . By the way, there are a few outlets that take poems which have appeared on a blog site. Perhaps you can find this one a second home. Best, M.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can get discouraged at the drop of a hat (and feel my technique isn't necessarily as good as it "should" be). But having my spirit or voice come through is important to me, so if a reader can feel that, I'm a happy camper. Many thanks, Maggie! I v. much enjoy reading your poems too; they ooze with rich detail and authenticity. (I've grown a bit tired of submitting just about anything, but I'll think about what you say!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What i like about this one is that it is not all rainbows and lollipops. the chill and the crows bring in reality. This is one of those that I "feel"... very strong. xo stace

    ReplyDelete