Sunday, February 24, 2013

From the top

from the top
of the Space Needle
he phones me
the connection
still clear, after years

Magnapoets, premiere issue, Jan. 2008

I've been to the top of the CN Tower in Toronto but not to Seattle's Space Needle. I was surprised to see this tanka show up in (the late) William J. Higginson's blog, included in his review of a new journal. ("A few poems, more or less at random ... These two, a haiku and a tanka, respectively, are by writers new to me, but among many names very recognizable in the English-language haiku and tanka communities ...")

2 comments:

  1. I like the contrast between the remoteness of the Space Needle and the clarity of the connection; and I like the way that (as so often happens in your poems) the simple, literal observation morphs gently into metaphor. Congrats on Higginson's notice of your tanka!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your comments on my "love" tanka, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete