Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tanka Prose

Fine roots

"No more hurting people
Peace" *

with pebbles
I prop them back up—
my lavender
barely past seedling stage
uprooted by wind

April 15, 2013, mid-afternoon. Staring out the window, I notice that some of them are bowing heavily, a few others passed out. Just a couple of days ago, I had planted them carefully in a neat row down the center of the bed. Now, I must painstakingly tuck them back in.

After I return inside, I learn that a horrific attack has occurred at the Boston Marathon. Much more news would follow: so many serious injuries, a child among the dead. What do parents say to their children, even those not immediately affected? 

________________

Words on a sign made by Martin Richard, eight years old, one of the three people killed.

LYNX, February 2014   
"with pebbles" first published at Haiku News, August 2013. 


Wishing you peace.

6 comments:

  1. This brought tears Janet...a tender, moving write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your tears, Jennifer, but I'm glad you found this moving. Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't need to apologize Janet...tears just mean I was touched by your post!

      Delete
    2. I understand ... Again, I appreciate your telling me that!!

      Delete
  3. A beautiful post, Janet and very apropro to the past weekend's sad anniversary.

    ReplyDelete