little labels
sewn inside school clothes,
my name
embroidered on them
as if I might get lost
—A Hundred Gourds, June 2013
Well, I was planning to include a photo of the actual labels, my name on them in green, but unfortunately I can't locate the particular box they're hiding inside. Coming across them a couple of years ago, though, served as inspiration for this tanka.
I love the gentle irony in this one--line 5 leaves the reader with so much to ponder.
ReplyDeleteI remember those labels. Maybe I need them again.
ReplyDeleteAdelaide
Jenny, thanks! I did get lost, literally and otherwise. ;)
ReplyDeleteAdelaide, ditto, me too. Mine were sewn in green uniforms. Did you have uniforms?
In highschool I had a uniform, an ugly blue serge dress that turned purplish as it aged. It had a great navy blazer with white piping around the collar and pockets, though, and I kept that after graduation.
DeleteAdelaide
Somewhere I still have my school scarf, which was nice, and a somewhat-threadbare cardigan that I wore for 3 years. We had ugly striped dresses for the summer and dreadful hats.
Deleteha-cute! And I mean that in the best way. I'm really enjoying this school theme you're doing!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Ms. Laundry. Watch out for the next one on Sunday or Monday.
ReplyDelete