Friday, September 6, 2013

Silhouettes

For the rest of this month at twigs&stones, there will be a "Back to School" theme. The first one:

silhouettes
we made of ourselves
in grade school ...
how many know me
only by my profile

—A Hundred Gourds, June 2013

7 comments:

  1. I remember those silhouettes. A nice back-to-school memory recalled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write brilliant tanka! Another one just spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you two. (Your comment is too kind, PL!) I wish I had the shadow picture(s) of mine, though I doubt my mother kept it/them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, another kind of semi-invisibility. Do we really ever know anyone by more than a profile? Another wonderful tanka shifting seamlessly from the ordinary to the metaphorical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind and thought-provoking comments, J. Your question: A good one. I have hopes that with a few people, if we allow ourselves to, and if those people also allow us to, we can from time to time see bits of the stuff beyond the profile.

      Delete