each time I wake
during this long night
of painkillers
a half-composed tanka
fading in and out
—kernels ("featured poet"), July 2013
Now, more than two years later, I'm doing a variety of physical therapy exercises to strengthen my "core." Had a good workout today.
ugh...long night of painkillers sounds awful Janet. I hope you are much better now...must have been serious for more than two years of mending...hugs...
ReplyDeletewell, if it isn't one thing, it's another with me! bad back: apparently one or multiple ruptured discs. better now, but a disc continues to press some on a cluster of nerves going down into my foot. I seriously need to stretch and strengthen myself. thanks!
ReplyDeleteA very relatable tanka for anyone who tends to write poems while half-awake, as I do! Hope your back is getting better.
ReplyDeletethank you!!
Deletethe tanka described here never quite materialized, but I think I may do better in general when only half-awake!
I so felt this, Janet. Scraps of poetry mingling with pain through the long, dark night. Very evocative.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your comment, Wendy. A strange night. That poem was just beyond my reach.
DeleteA bad night of pain makes me think of nothing but the pain. That you can even think about a tanka shows you are a true poet, one who turns every experience into a poem.
DeleteAdelaide
Thanks for the kind comment, Adelaide ... though I admit that I often feel like an impostor instead of a true poet! ;)
ReplyDelete