Saturday, November 22, 2014

In a shoe box

in a shoe box
my Shirley Temple doll
made of china ...
the teardrop crack
under one of her eyes

Ribbons "Tanka Cafe" (theme: heirlooms and relics), Spring/Summer 2014

An aunt of mine was given this doll decades ago. I read via Googling that she (the doll, not my aunt!) was probably made in the year 1934. Fragile Shirley eventually ended up in my hands when I was still a child. Too bad my mother threw the original box away.

Here she is, except mine isn't in quite as good shape. And I learned something: she isn't actually made of china (oops) but, instead, "composition," a painted sawdust/wood blend.

8 comments:

  1. The small defect (L 4 & 5) only adds to her charm & to her true value, if not to her monetary value. I enjoyed seeing her & reading about her in the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy your comments, Jenny.

      Delete
  2. My Mom had a composition doll from her childhood (one of my sisters has it now) and I always thought the crazing of the glaze gave it a long ago aspect that added to its allure - though I don't think it enhances the monetary value . . . one of the little ironies of many treasured things I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this.

    Maybe it is a time for dreaming. I keep a notebook and it seems my best writing comes to me in dreams.

    Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks for stopping by here too.

      Delete
  4. Awesome, Janet. Maybe one of your best.

    ReplyDelete