Fishing for words
Found after decades! Packed away with other favorites of mine, their spines barely affixed, A Child's Garden of Verses (a condensed pop-up edition) and The Golden Book of Poetry … coming back to life.
Found after decades! Packed away with other favorites of mine, their spines barely affixed, A Child's Garden of Verses (a condensed pop-up edition) and The Golden Book of Poetry … coming back to life.
I don't know exactly when, or why, my writerly muse first emerged—or where it came from. (But perhaps it was fed by the lines within these very books?) Nor can I explain my inability to hold onto my muse for very long at any given time. Yet even after I've convinced myself it's sailed off for good, I will probably half expect to find it again, waiting for me in some invisible box or misty sea.
Wynken,
Blynken, and Nod,
poets three
in the same wooden shoe
without their nets of gold
______________
Author's Notes:
— The above tanka is a reference to "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod," Eugene Field, 1889; "misty sea" is from the same poem.
— The Golden Book of Poetry, various poets (including Field), 1947.
— A Child's Garden of Verses, Robert Louis Stevenson, 1885.
—Haibun Today, vol. 10, no. 2, June 2016

I remember this, Janet! The muses & the golden nets . . . they continue to drift hither & yon, near & far.
ReplyDeleteThis is just lovely - those early stirrings of poetic predilection - revisited in "found" childhood books. The prose and tanka dovetail seamlessly. A very special piece.
ReplyDeleteYou found your muse or your muse found you. Either way, a lovely piece.
DeleteAdelaide
Thanks for the feedback, Jenny, Wendy, and Adelaide!
ReplyDelete