Thursday, February 14, 2013

My stolen ...

my stolen
Valentine pendant,
at its center
a golden, mythical bird
wings no longer mine

Modern English Tanka, Vol. 1, No. 1 (Autumn 2006); Fire Pearls: Short Masterpieces of the Human Heart (2006)

I seem to have a fondness for birds, in jewelry and in general. The pendant was a late Valentine's gift one year, brought back from a Qatar business trip. Soon thereafter, when some work was being done inside our house, it "disappeared" and never showed up again.

5 comments:

  1. What a shame it disappeared. A lovely poem

    Adelaide

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yes, I was rather upset that it, errr, disappeared; it was kind of symbolic and sentimental to me. But perhaps the person who "found" it was "happy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mythical bird takes on symbolic significance as the owner's wings are trimmed by the disturbing experience of being the target of theft. Still, it hovers in the mind . . .nothing beautiful is ever wholly lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your commentaries, J.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet... i love birds too. so sad this pendant was taken from you. I know it was special. "wings no longer mine. . ." very nice. stace

    ReplyDelete